How to Prepare Your Home for the Rainy Season
Rain can potentially damage or ruin your home without the proper precautions. So learn how to prepare your home for the rainy season in order to keep your family dry, and save yourself additional repair costs.
- Inspect your roof twice per year to avoid costly problems that can escalate into tremendous cost. Look for cracks along the ridge of your roof, and make sure that you do not have any missing, loose or warped shingles/tile.
- Take a look at your gutters and drains to make sure that they drain well and don’t cause water to back-up.
- Check out your ceilings inside to make sure that you are not experiencing signs of roof or other leakage. Be on the lookout for water rings, mold or wall or ceiling discoloration.
- Make sure that your windows and doors both close and seal properly.
- Make sure that dead branches have been cleared from around your house. This will reduce the risk that they will fall during the storm and damage your home.
- If you are in a flood zone, consider using sandbags to put into the low areas around your house to help keep flood water at bay. Move furniture to the highest room in the house if there is a chance of flooding.